Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Learn to Fly (encore)

Today was a hard morning. Fortunately I teach this evening so I don't need to be in till later. And also, fortunately, today was the day of my return to the track.

I love the track. I don't think, however, there is anything I love as much that I dread as much. But I slapped Carbon Leaf on the iPod and headed to Franklin Field. I put "Learn to Fly" on repeat. I've raved over Carbon Leaf in previous posts, so suffice to say I love this whole cd, but this song nails both where my head is at and gets me going at the same time.

So by the time I got to the track I was ready. I wanted to do 1600s, four of them. Checking the archives, last time I did 1600s, in July, I was struggling with getting them in 5:20 (fun little writeup here). Time before that was in May and I shot for 5:20 and the wheels came off (a more long winded writeup here). So I set 5:20 as the benchmark for today. 4 of em w/ 400m recovery in about 2 minutes.

First rep went by in 5:15. Running felt smooth, not forced but I was wary of paying for this speed in the final reps. But when the second rep started at the same pace a wiser voice told the rest of me to just go with it. 5:16 and still feeling strong. Rep 3 was 5:16 and still feeling strong. But I knew these wouldn't mean shit if I couldn't pull the last one off. And it went, with the pain and exhaustion starting to hit right at the 800 mark, and I had to push through it. And today I could do it, just push through all the resistance and pain I was up against. Its really a remarkable feeling, and I hit the last 400 meters in 77 seconds for a 5:15 final rep. And then I was spent.

As I fall apart, I learn to fly.

That line makes perfect sense to me after this workout. And I left the track with the feeling I always have after a good workout, of having gone up to the edge of what I'm capable of and looking into the abyss beyond. I suppose the reason I both love and fear the track so much is that its as close as I come these days to a mystical experience. Now I'm sounding weird.

9 miles total with all the warm up, cool down, recoveries and reps figured in.

Delaware Distance Classic is up on Sunday. If I take anything with me from this morning, I hope it will be that feeling of breaking through pain and exhaustion. There's a rival who I hope shows up (a few of you know who I'm talking about) with whom I have unfinished business, as well as a new acquaintance I look forward to running with. All in all this morning consolidates my PDR performance and leaves me looking to do something big this weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger John W said...

Greak workout, I need to take soem track lessons from you.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home