Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Parkway Run 5k

I realize this is the fifth weekend in a row that I've been racing. There's a term for that in the runner's lingo, especially when it involves running for prizes, but since my mother checks into this blog I'll leave it at that.

I've described Parkway Run last year, as this is my fourth time running it. I just read over last years entry and was entertained by my writeup, and realized how many of the details I had forgotten. That is one reason I keep this blog.

Its also interesting to see how this years race is essentially the same as last years. Temps were a little warmer, but alot of people on Logan Square. As I predicted yesterday, I was not in top racing form. Yesterdays workout, plus I spent all day moving (I'm now about 2/3's out of the house and into the apartment), and I was out late going to see a Charlotte Martin concert. I've been listening to "CharMar" recently, although her techno-y singer-songwriter obsessing-over-relationships type music is not exactly my style, in the right moments its fit my mood. But I found the concert very so-so. Anyway, it was hard getting up at 6:30 and running the three miles over to Logan Circle for the 8:30 start.

As was the case last year, the start was delayed and I used the time to yap with my occasional long-run buddy and local running meister Ross Martinson and line up near him so as not to get stuck in the crush around the circle that I experienced last year. This worked well and after the starting horn sounded I had little trouble with folks jamming up the course ahead of me. After things shook out it was Ross in front, my Phila PAC teammate Matt Vavala (whom I met for the first time today, really funny guy) in second, and I then tuck in behind Villanova running legend and 2004 Olympian Carmen Douma Hussar. Mile 1 in 5:19 and Carmen and I are working together. Mile 2 in 5:24 and I look to surge past Carmen and catch up with Matt. Matt is fading and it is no problem to overtake him, Carmen sticks behind me. I know she is primarily a miler and should have a stronger kick than I at the finish, so I try and put as much distance as I can between us. But it doesn't work, as she flies past me in the homestretch and nips me by two seconds. My last 1.1 mile goes by in 5:55 (5:23 pace) for a total time of 16:38. Third place overall, second male finisher (Ross finished first by about 45 seconds).

Steve Gelman's step-daughter, who is maybe 6 or 7, comes up to me and says, "You got beaten by a girl." I said, that ain't no girl, that's a legend. I wondered whether I could have found a few seconds more if I had been better rested but it doesn't really matter. Fourth fastest 5k I ever ran and alot better than I had a right to expect.

I ran about 20 seconds faster than I had in each of my last three Parkway Runs, and there was considerably less competition this year. My third place time this year would have gotten me 10th place last year. But once again I won an overnight stay in a Philly hotel, this time the Westin. And more importantly, the third incarnation of team EZ on the Eyz, this time with Kevin F. replacing Ian and John Dubs replacing Jmac, handily won the team competition and the accompanying spoils - dinner for 10 at the Fountain Restaurant, which, according to their website is rated by Zagat as the top restaurant in Philadelphia. And probably the most expensive. This is the third straight year EZotE has won this honor, and I'm always amazed that there never is more competition for it.

So, I remarked, alls I have to do now is get a date for the dinner. To which Kevin shot back that I should require that whoever I took to the Fountain would also have to come to the Westin.

Here's a good hill workout, courtesy of the FreshGrocer. Their elevator from the store to the parking garage broke down, leaving me stranded in the store with a cartload of groceries. So I took the cart around and up the ramps to the third floor of the garage. Pushing that cart on the fairly steep incline was not what my legs needed after racing 5k, but I'm sure they are stronger for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home