Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, September 22, 2006

Ian in Berlin

I realized on the run this morning that the Berlin Marathon is this weekend. Ian is running it, and probably over there already. Ian, I've been too preoccupied to have wished you Godspeed before you left, so I'll have to send it telepathically. And if you do get to read this, a little tip: when you overtake someone and you want to politely ask him/her to step aside, the proper and polite German phrase is Aus dem Weg, Aschloch.

Shake and bake, bro!

Zeke's blog is one of the few non-local blogs I still check in with, and I've been feeling bad lately as he writes often about his beloved Twins, who now should get the AL wildcard, and I have been feeling neglectful this year about the Phillies, who are in the thick of the NL wildcard race. My problem is that I basically gave up on them when they swooned in June, writing them off as a .500 team that lack the spark they needed to be a playoff contender. They have been like that for at least the last four or five years, and I was sick of it. So I resolved then to have one less heartache in my life, and now they are back in the thick of things. And I feel guilty, feel like one of those things I despise - a fair weather fan. What's to do?

Well they haven't won the wildcard yet. Whenever I see Kathy, the secretary at the center at Penn where I have an adjunct appointment, we always banter a bit about them Fightin' Phils. So I asked her yesterday if she thinks the Phils will do it this year and she flatly said no. She gave essentially the same answer that I had in June, that they lacked the oompf to bring it home. The difference is that this doesn't keep Kathy from being immersed in the thick of the playoff race, while I'm watching this one from the sidelines. I guess I will not attain the status of true Philadelphian until I learn to unconditionally and repeatedly offer the local sports teams my total vulnerability despite knowing what will happen to it.

Where did all that come from? I think I need to get my focus back. This morning's run was with KJ and Silas. KJ has been on the mend from foot problems, and the 5.5 mile Cobbs Creek loop, going home on Thomas St., was the longest he's gone in three weeks. He said it felt good this morning, and that is encouraging. Did that part in 46 flat and then went on solo and did a Franklin Field loop in another 26:44. Went the extra miles mainly to run past Penn's Fine Arts Library in the morning sun. When the conditions and the timing are right, there are few sights more beautiful.

Total 9 miles in 72:44.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home