Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, September 21, 2006

New Life

Since coming to Philly back in 1995 and taking up this accursed hobby, my addiction has been enabled by a regular progression of excellent running partners. This started all the way back in 1996 with Jeff L. and Jenny, who first showed me routes like the Drives and Forbidden Drive that are now so familiar that they seem etched into my genetic code. I trained for my first marathon, Philly 1997, and beyond with Jeff G, who subsequently moved to Ohio, is back in the area, and who I now do some work with professionally. Then it was Tony L. and Marc for awhile, until Marc moved to DC and Tony's work got more intense at about the same time my running got more intense. Not long after that I hooked up with Erin and together we have accumulated the present group of overeducated misfits that constitute what I call Club West Philly.

The reason I bring this up today is because there was a message in my inbox from a Magdalena S. My spam radar immediately went up but the title "Introducing Rosario by m&m" was intriguing enough to click. I was rewarded by a slew of baby pictures and I wondered who is sending me these until, scrolling farther down, I saw Marc's pic with the newborn baby. The reason Marc had went to DC was to live with Magdalena (I had long forgotten her name) back in say around 01 or 02, and the relationship has now borne fruit. This is great news from out of the blue.

Marc was/is a good runner, but Ultimate Frisbee was/is always his first love. He is one of the most enthusiastic people I now and was tireless with his organizing activities. I remember numerous runs playing devil's advocate with various issues, like predatory lending, that he was organizing around, and his responses were invariably not only well informed but passionate. Doing this stuff left Marc chronically poor, and when we went out I always made it a point to pay, as a payback for the days when I was poor like that and lots of folks treated me better than they should have. All this and more comes back now with these photos and I wish you well and offer my congratulations, Marc. And Rosario is beautiful!

Speaking of new life, I heard that Tony and his wife Annalisa, the former of whom was a running partner of mine about the same time I ran with Marc, are also expecting. This again is excellent news and reminds me that I need to look him up, as he still lives in the 'hood.

New life is the manifestation of God's opinion that the world should keep going. And far be it from me to argue with that. But I do need to be reminded of that from time to time, and timing is good here. And there is no better way to do it than like this.

And all this comes on a day where the running was rather nondescript. Deirdre came by and Allan blew us off. Which was just as well, because we both had dead legs and cut our planned eight mile route - Cobb's Creek to Woodland and back - short by returning down Springfield instead. I think I've got Deirdre's arm twisted enough to where she'll run the Parkway Run 5k with PAC TC and we will finally have a fast female on our Grand Prix team. As always, stay tuned.

6 miles in 47:01.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home