Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

City of Dreams

Only Jody and I showed up to run this morning. Weather is still mild, but it was pitch black when we started. This is something that will ease up a bit when the time shifts to daylight saving, but otherwise we'll be starting out in the dark for awhile. We headed out west and the morning light slowly lit up the rowhouses. It felt like we were creeping up on a city asleep, with only us up early enough to see it, along with the occasional car and the walkers on the Cobbs Creek bike path - always with a dog or carrying a stick or something else to fend off undesirables. I always figured my best defense is my legs: if they don't catch me in the first twenty feet they ain't gonna get me.

But the dreamlike state of the city slowly lifted as we headed back down Warrington and Jody turned to go home. After he left my legs still had some miles in them, so I kept cruising down Baltimore. I put on my iPod and listened to Marah, an old friend made new again and whose sound emanates from the very streets I run upon. The sun was an orange ball over the skyline as I hit the South Street Bridge and entered Center City and the town was now fully awake. An easy conversational front six with Jody now became a more insistent back six, taking me to the Art Museum and back thru U City.

City of dreams
You don't know what it means
To only dream about it

Combined Cobbs Creek/Warrington and Art Museum loops (gmapped here). 12 miles in 93:48.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home