Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Run for Twinkie

My dear cat Twinkie passed away last night. He was 12 and had been getting sicker over the last two weeks or so. The vet said yesterday that he had various tumors throughout his body, and I thought it best to put an end to his pain. He was a good cat.

I got Twinkie at roughly the same time I started running. After a bit I thought of him as my own portrait of Dorian Gray, for as I got fitter he got more obese. I can of course share lots of memories about him, but I'll spare you all but how for years he would faithfully meet me, early in the mornings, in the bathroom as I got ready for my morning runs. He would jump into the clawfoot tub and wait for me to turn on the faucet so he could drink. Recently he couldn't make it into the tub anymore, so lifting him into the tub and turning on the faucet became as regular a pre-run ritual as lacing up my shoes.

I'll miss you Twinkie, and John, Deirdre and I decided this morning's run would be dedicated to you.

This morning's run was the kind when, at 8 am, we all agreed we should have started at 7. Hot and humid. We took a variation of John's water fountain loop through Fairmount Park and East Falls. All the usual things about how much easier a long run is with good company apply here. Save a couple of patches where my stomach did flips, I felt strong today and we took the last 3.5 miles down Kelly Drive in 25:51 (including a fountain break). Blame that on Deirdre, but also chalk it up to my feeling stronger. But I'm glad its done.

16.5 miles in 2:08:00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home