Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, August 31, 2009

Writing, Talking, Running

Ran the Cobbs Creek-Woodland loop again today. Its become my bread and butter route of late. When I'm running solo I usually pick out routes by feel: how many miles I feel I could/should do and what kind of scenery I feel like. Recently this 8.5 mile loop seems just about right.

I tried to channel my inner Deirdre this morning and pick up the pace a bit. At odds with that was some lingering crud in my legs and achilles tendons that feel on the edge. I've had this feeling before and have had it go away, of course I've also had my share of sore achilles. So I'm playing it by feel. Anyway, my goal was to do the loop in under 70 minutes, achieved this with 30 seconds to spare.

This morning feels like fall, with temps in the 60s.

I started reading Hiruki Murakami's book What I Talk About When I Talk About Running over the weekend. I hoped this book would be a kind of road map for my taking my writing a bit deeper than just blogging about it. After the first two chapters, I'm somewhat disappointed as the chapters read a bit like long blog entries with some incredibly banal writing considering that the author is an established novelist. Maybe this has to do with the translation. I'll keep reading, and thinking about what I'd want to write if I write a book on running. That is the question that intrigues me right now, how would I do better? Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Quinto Sol said...

Include a murder or two in your book, and you'll have a best seller :-)

4:48 PM  
Blogger John W said...

Thanks for the shout. Yes we are all extremely tired but doing well. Hope to see you on the roads again soon.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home