Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Long Hard Slog

Seems like I'm always the last to find out, but Dave Alvin and James McMurtry are both playing at World Cafe Live on this coming Friday. I'd camp out for tickets to see either one of them, and to have both on the same bill is really exciting. To make it even more exciting, I got me a really hot date to go with. And I'm so there.

I kick off with this because I proceeded to have me a Dave Alvin fest on my iPod during todays run. Got out the door after the kids left at 11 with a belly full of Nutella crepes for energy. I set to go out to Green Lane in Manayunk, but to get out and back in the shortest ways I can find. I ended up running this route. I did Dave Alvin in chronological order, starting with his Blasters stuff, which is 80's new wave/"roots" rock stuff and real upbeat. This, combined with running into a gaggle of Penn XC/Track boys that I just had to reel in and overtake, got my testosterone pumping and had me hitting 7:15 miles on Kelly Drive. Kept this up till I got to Manayunk, where I crossed the Schuylkill into Montgomery County and hit the north Belmont hills. Here I started hitting Alvin's recent solo stuff, which is quite a bit more mellow, at about the same time I realized that this set of three hills are, meter for meter, the most difficult hills around here. At least this morning they were. When I got done with them and crossed back into Philadelphia, I just kept heading down Belmont and easing into a more mellow groove, both aurally and running wise. On todays route I ran Belmont from start to finish.

Somehow an odd run today. I had hoped for a few more miles, but will settle for the 15 that I got out of this course. It ultimately seemed like a long hard slog. Nobody told me that there'd be runs like these, but then there are some things best figured out by one's self. This gives me 73 miles for the week, acceptable but ideally I'd like to be getting 80 mile weeks in here. Anyway, my mind is in a funk here, so I better sign off before this becomes more apparent than it probably already is.

15 in 1:50:47.

2 Comments:

Blogger John W said...

I like the Kristy MacColl reference in yesterday's blog.

Also about those black squirrels. 25 years of living in Northeast Philly and I didn't know they even existed let alone see one. Move 10 miles to Roxborough and they are the norm in my neighborhood. Odd.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Love that Dave Alvin. Unfortunately my band had the misfortune of playing on another stage during a festival while Dave was playing at the same time.

Thankfully at least a few people don't love Dave Alvin, they helped drown out the crickets after each of our songs.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home