Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Day One

Had a long talk with my new coach last night. To make it short, I liked what I heard and from today through to March 17 I am now training for a fast 5k. More than that, it is looking to attain one of my two lifetime running goals - to go sub 16 minutes in a 5k.

So the upshot of my conversation with GP last night was this workout - warmup run out to the Drives and then, on MLK, do 4 tempo miles in 6:40; 6:20; 5:50 and split the last one so I do the first half in 3:00 and the second half in 2:30. I haven't done any speed since I ran the Rothman 8k back in November, and especially that 2:30 half spooked me. Even on a good day of running 800s on the track I have a hard time hitting 2:30. But that is a 5 minute pace, which is about what I have to hit to go sub 16. And not only hit, but be "comfortable" with and sustain. So me and 5-minute pace might as well get acquainted.

Why is speed work such a mental thing for me. I wanted to get out of the house by 7, I didn't get out till 7:20 but when I left the kitchen was cleaned up and the living room was straightened up. Both needed it, but they are things I usually only do out of procrastination or to prepare for company. I took it slow on the run down to the Art Museum, it seemed to take forever to get there and the upcoming tempo run seemed a flash point for the various anxieties currently residing in my head.

I started out and panicked, running fast enough, and with no concept of pace, so that the first quarter clocked in at 1:27 (should have been a 1:40). That was a relief, however, as I could slow it down but the second quarter came in at 1:35 - what felt slow was still too fast. I adjusted things so that the second half of this first mile was about on pace, with a time of 6:21 for the first mile. Once I'm on pace I'm usually pretty good at keeping the pace, and mile two came in at exactly 6:20. I was much more relaxed and even feeling this was easy. On mile 3 I picked things up a bit, a tad too fast even, and it clocked in at 5:48. The last mile was now here. First half was an easy 2:58 and then I was off to the races. I went all out but still felt like I was holding back a bit, I had no idea what my pace was. First quarter was a 1:17, 2 seconds over pace and my heart sank, I knew I wouldn't make that up. But I pushed, hard, and when I hit the hash line I felt I gave it all. I was nauseous and sucking air, feeling worse than I've felt after some races. But the watch said 2:37. Second quarter was slower than the first.

And I think right there is my fear. That I would go all out, give it my best, and still fall short. In this case it wasn't even close. Tried to do a 2:30 and the best I could get is a 2:37. But like alot of fears, once they are realized they are not so bad. Hey, all that tells me is that it is early in training and I got work to do. I wouldn't need a bloody coach if it came easy.

So I am okay. I also again have the cathartic feeling I'd have last fall after hard workouts, that I left more than sweat and shoe rubber on the course, like I've cleared out some of the junk in my head. For now.

My goal is to get to bed early tonight. And I'm so looking forward to it.

10.5 miles with four tempo - 6:21; 6:20; 5:48; 2:58/2:37 - in 81:33.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

With that 8K in the fall you know you have the fitness to get under 16, but I think "fast and relaxed" might get you there faster than leaning into the tape to make your 2:30 800's at this point and feeling like throwing up. I bet the 2:37 will be a 2:34-2:35 next week with the same effort, and soon you'll be smooth at 2:30-2:32.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home