Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Nowhere Man

An excerpt from an email written by a friend of a friend that was forwarded to me. It describes a conversation between the author and her toddler age daughter:

. . . Yes, Ellen is so big I just can't believe it. Full blown conversationalist. The other day we were talking about running and then saw a group of runners. She asked me where they were going. I asked her where she thought they were going. She deadpanned, "Well, most runners run to Costco."

This gave me something to think about as I headed out on my second run today. Where do I go when I run? It quickly turned into something like a zen koan, kind of like the sound of one hand clapping. 99% of the time I come back to where I started, meaning that I go nowhere. But I had to have gone somewhere since I'm a different person when I finished than when I started.

But then, conversely, people who say they are "running" out to the Costco never actually run to there, do they. So what's up with that?

Very confusing, unless I suppose you are two years old. Ellen needs to enjoy this time, when she understands it all, because its downhill from there.

That's the kind of run this was today, very cerebral. I took this route from USP this afternoon. It was snowing out and I had Matthew Ryan's new cd on the iPod, but I wasn't really listening. Instead I was just thinking deep thoughts that now strangely have left me as I try to write about them. Mostly mixing the grey of the day in with the grey of my mood.

Also ran this morning before work on this route - Cobb's Creek (Pine St. out) to Mt. Moriah and back down Kingsessing. Weather wasn't as cold as yesterday, so reverted back to the long sleeve t-shirt. Highlight of the run was going under a tree where a red tailed hawk was perched as I was whistling through the graveyard.

6.5 miles this morning in 53:05; 6.5 miles this afternoon in 52:42.

Well, gotta run.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home