Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Long Nine

Its good to be back after a little unplanned two day hiatus.

Sunday I ran but didn't get to blog it. I won't go into detail since it is ancient history now but I went past the Lansdowne Sycamore and south on Lansdowne Ave. but instead of going out to McDade I took an earlier left on Baily and blazed a course on the streets there that eventually let me out at Church St. and Cobbs Creek Parkway. Then instead of making that long countdown of numbered streets heading northeast on Woodland, I took 63rd St. farther south to Lindbergh, and returned like I would from the airport (and thereabouts). This stretched a 10 mile route out to 12 miles (gmapped here), giving me 57 for the week and a lingering underachieving feeling.

Yesterday I didn't get out to run. I won't go into details, but it did nothing for my underachieving feeling. But I'm already feeling like I'm retreating from my high mileage goals and ready to redirect into my fast 5k mindset. I'm set to commit to having GP coach me, the only thing that's making me slow down a bit is that it is a bit expensive. I figure its a good idea anyway to talk with him over the phone before committing, just to make sure we click and so I can pick his brain further about what I'll be doing. Again, stay tuned. After a good start, yesterday was blah and my jonesing for a run didn't help that mood. Rebecca mentioned, in an offhand way, that she heard mentioned that third Mondays in January are the most depressing day of the year (more here). This actually did alot to lift my spirits; I suppose misery loves company.

So today is a new day. Met up with Deirdre and we ran an Acme loop - 34th St and Lebanon hill versions. It was one of those mornings when I became all to conscious about how long 9 miles actually is. As little as four or five years ago 5 miles was my bread and butter distance, now I'm dissatisfied if I get less than 10 in on any workout. Usually I think my tolerance for distance has just gone up as my mileage increased, but today I actually thought, at about one or two miles in, about how much longer I had to go this morning. Doing that, I was toast mentally for the rest of the run. That is no reflection on Deirdre's company - conversation was good as we talked a bit about stuff she's got going on and then I got to bounce my thoughts on my coaching arrangements off of her. But there are some days when nine miles is just, well, nine miles.

And I know I'm whining here, but its my blog and I can do that if I want. So I'll say I feel like I'm running these days but not like I'm training. Or, like I dwelled on in Thursday's blog entry, I don't feel like I'm running to any place.

This morning's run was actually 9.5 miles, in 78:29.

2 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Fascinating article, especially as I was rather unmotivated yesterday.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hi Seebo-

Great running blog. I see you're posting links to routes in your blog- did you know that you can now embed a route map into your blog with MapMyRun?

You can read more about it here if you're intersted.

Keep up the good work!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home