Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Two Days of Rain. . .

and I'm feeling no pain

A (paraphrased) line from a song that is on one of my top ten favorite albums of all time. But its pretty obscure, so I'd be very impressed if anyone can identify it, even Scott, even with the assistance of google.

Anyway, it rained almost all day yesterday, and I couldn't get myself to go out and run. I've lamented before how I have this mental block against running in the rain. Then later I feel bad for not just sucking it in and running anyway. Yesterday was another rainy day in that litany.

Today I woke up with the same pitter patter on the windows. But I had to go this morning. A planned 20 miler was too important a workout to rollover and wait till the rain stops. So I went out and thankfully it was only a drizzle. Loaded up the iPod with a different Carbon Leaf cd - Echo Echo - and Matt Nathanson - At the Point. The latter is live, recorded locally. Both bands are co-headlining a show at the TLA this month and I'm going with Maricela as a present for her 16th birthday. Carbon Leaf has the singular distinction of being the first cd that both M. and I have had on heavy rotation at the same time.

Listened to Carbon Leaf down to the Art Museum, where I met John Dubs and we ran up to Manayunk and back down Belmont and back into Fairmount Park. We split at Belmont Plateau and I headed west. I put on Matt Nathanson and ran the rest of the way out to 66th and then down to Market & 63rd, down 63rd and back onto Cedar. By this time I was running well into two hours and really had little idea of the pace I was going, but knew I had to get back to the crib by 11. I picked up the pace a bit when I got south of Market, but though I felt strong it was hard to keep a rhythm.

And I cruised home. The music was good, but not really right for running, and the run felt disorganized. I felt if I'm serious about CIM I gotta get a run like that better blocked out. What made matters a bit worse was that, upon measuring the course (here) it only came out to 19 miles. So not an ideal run, but a strong run and one that went relatively quickly, thanks to John's good company. We yapped pretty much non-stop, even up the series of Belmont Ave hills.

So 19 miles in 2:34:30. 8:10 pace, I'd like it to have been a little faster.

As a consolation, I should have more oomph left over for tomorrow's Delaware Distance Classic. You'll hear about it in the next entry, with an lbrr (long boring race report, for those not in the know) on how it goes.

And, for closure, some more lyrics from the song I opened with ("Four Days of Rain" from the Flying Burrito Bros self titled album):

[Running] around this big old town just thinking of you. . .
Hope you think of me too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home