Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Good Bye Deirdre

Haven't posted for a few days as I haven't had much to write about. I blew off my planned tempo run on Thursday after it became clear after starting out that I didn't have any mojo that morning. I write often about heading out while feeling bad and then easing into where I subsequently nail a challenging workout. On Thursday the initial funk never lifted, so I just headed back home and got in three miles.

Yesterday rained all day long. Others may spin running in the rain into great feats of intestinal fortitude. In contrast, I saw more benefit in taking a rest day than in flogging myself through a miserable slog. I remind myself of Deirdre's prescience a few days ago when she wondered how "rest day" ever became a dirty word.

The rest did me good as today's long run went strong. Devon & Jamie organized a 20 miler that attracted a group of 9. I hung with them to about Falls River Bridge, when Deirdre, myself and Cassi, whom I had run with once last winter, took off on our own. This led us through East Falls and around to the Wissahickon Trail, over SMB and through Fairmount Park. A merry chase at a good pace, and the fresh legs and good company made the time go fast.

Not sure when I'll run with Deirdre next, as she is moving on to NYC next week. We parted ways at mile 15 and kept things open about when "next time" would be. Its easier than saying good bye, which among other things would have required stopping and engaging in a sweaty hug. I don't know if you read this blog, Deirdre, but I'll say good bye and good luck a bit more formally here. I'll miss your early morning company and your pulling me along to ever faster training paces.

Today being a good case in point. 17.5 miles in 2:15:20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home