Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Mighty Wind

It was howlin' like a wolf out there this morning. Not too cold but blowing hard into the backstretch of the Interboro HS track. This added an interesting dimension to my workout - 5k on the installment plan (5x1000 w/ 400m recovery) - as the odd numbered reps would be wind aided and the even ones wind impaired.

Reps went like this: 3:33; 3:30; 3:29; 3:31; 3:34.

It doesn't take much to get my mind going, and on recoveries I dissected the times and 400 and 200 meter splits to see how much difference running the last 200 meters with or against the wind made. The ultimate answer is not much, at most the wind slowed me down by 1 second. However, the change in efforts over the course of the reps may have contributed to my slower times over the last two reps. The wind blew hardest on the last rep and the slowdown was more due to a loss of focus than a loss of speed.

Okay, Seebo, don't hurt yourself overthinking here.

Six days of altitude training had no noticeable effect on my running.

As usual, I would like to have run this workout faster. But key is that I ran the workout. 10 miles total with 80:56 total time. 5k, all tallied up, was in 17:37.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I don't get it - are you including the recoveries in your rep times, or should that be "3:33, . . . "

1:23 PM  
Blogger seebo said...

Thanks Kevin, splits are indeed 3 minutes and whatever. And Happy New Year.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home