Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Key to the Highway

You know I didn't feel so bad, till the sun went down...
Didn't have a soul to throw my lovin' arms around.
-
Son House

Ran into the sunset this evening fueled by the blues. Delta blues, served up by John Mooney. Raw and unadulterated. It kept me going.

And that was all I was looking to do. I stayed up halfway into this morning watching episodes from season 4 of The Wire. I did this by making myself a deal that I would run this evening. This was a deal that should have been made at a crossroads, as temps were still deep into the 80s when, with a bellyful of chicken pot pie, I laced up my shoes and set out at 7:30.

I felt really sluggish and the air just weighed me down. Heat, humidity and a good dose of pollen. By the time I hit MLK Drive I was already using my Boston run as an example of how I could make it through anything. Then I turned that around and figured, as I wasn't going for any speed today, I might as well make this a hardship run. Welcome what is thrown at me and outlast it. This is as much a part of distance running as speed. Just keep slogging through.

Which is basically all I did. It got dark just as I got out of Fairmount Park and I finally caught a breeze. Headwind.

11.5 miles on SMB loop in 98:49. Tomorrow morning I wake up and the miles stare me in the face all over again. To paraphrase our president, bring em on!

I got the key to the highway,
Oh Lord, I'm out and bound to go.
I'm gonna leave here running,
'Cause walking's much too slow.
- traditional

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, "The Wire" is the best show on television in the past 20 years: better than The Sopranos (more consistant), Six Feet Under, etc. I have never seen a show that is so nuanced, patient, and smart.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home