Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Who's Your Daddy?

I put another notch on my running shoe this morning.

Instead of running in the rain, I went out to the USP rec center and hit the hamster wheel. At 2 3/4 miles in and running at a 6:40 pace the treadmill couldn't take it anymore and promptly shut down. There is only one other experience similar to being totally immersed in the rhythm of a brisk run only to be rudely thrown back into the real world.

I promptly revved the mill back up to pace, and it promptly gave out again. Just couldn't hang with me, I guess. Treadmill knows his daddy now. I went to the treadmill next to it and did another 2 1/4, getting the pace all the way up to 6 flat and holding it for a quarter mile.

The last mile was a cool down, and actually was the best mile of the lot. After I was warm, and the pace (7:30) felt slow, I could really focus on form in a positive way. My ankle felt strong and my stride felt right. The pain, which had previously been on the inside of my ankle, today was above the instep. A pain telling me that the cankle remains there, but was very runnable.

Listened to Interpol on the iPod for the first time. Excellent running music, with guitars keeping up a rhythm that helps me focus on form. 5 total miles, time unknown.

To USP's credit, an attendant came within 2 minutes of my hopping treadmills, asking me if something was wrong. I followed up after my workout and the supervisor said that they'd been having trouble with the treadmills when "marathoner types" get on it and give it a workout. I don't know if she was suggesting that perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on the treadmills but would have none of it, saying that they should look to fix that, as they should be able to take a jolt.

Now I imagine treadmills quiver in fear when my shadow falls upon them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:44 PM  
Blogger jim said...

agreed on Interpol for running, great stuff. Nice to see your swagger coming back...

3:52 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

That swelled noggin' of yours fittin' through doorways today? Oh master of the hamster wheel! Glad your tootsie is feeling better. I feel the cheetah approaching.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home