Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Unfortunate Turn of Events

Ran for 30 minutes this morning (29:42 to be exact), about 3 miles down to 33rd St and back up through Penn. Got to see the Furness library building in the early morning sun, one of my favorite views on the run. The colors are finally starting to kick in, adding lots of color to the neighborhood. Felt stiff but everything was okay.

After that I went to my first physical therapy appointment. USP has a PT department, so getting a referral for a good PT was not a problem. Maureen Brolly of Mercy Rehab Associates lived up to her high recommendations, but told me stuff I didn't want to hear. She

- diagnosed a "high ankle sprain," which takes longer to heal than a lower ankle sprain, and can take months to heal fully;

- said that the pain I felt on my inner lower calf was a classic warning sign that I was at risk for developing post-tibular tendonitis, which is apparently a pretty nasty thing to get rid of once it sets in;

- the swelling in my ankle would stay around for another 3 weeks or so;

- running does more to impede recovery than to assist it. Like Ira, Maureen didn't say that I shouldn't run but said that the pounding may impede the ankles return to stability and aggravate the post-tibular tendon. I asked her directly, and she said that at this point running is not going to facilitate the ankles healing and may make it worse. Ouch.

- I got stretching exercises, encouraged to wear my ankle brace, to get new running shoes with more stability, and to ice;

- follow up appointment is next Friday.

So the rollercoaster is on a downturn again. Apparently the running I have been doing and the appearance that I was making progress is illusory. I want to let everything sink in at this point and figure out what to do. Not what I had hoped but I will do what it takes for the long-term recovery. A day at a time. Right now I'm still digesting. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home