Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Middle Path

About time to check in. Not much to report.

After going to the PT appt, I've not run until this morning. I've been faithfully doing my exercises, which don't feel like they are doing much, and laying low. The ankle has been feeling good and the pressure has been building to run. When my 8:30 canceled on me this morning, I figured that was my window, and I headed down to the ARC.

Did three miles on the treadmill. The run felt tentative at first and the old awkward feeling came in when no matter how I ran it felt like I was favoring the ankle. As I got warmed up that subsided and, helped by my forgetting the iPod, I got into a groove and visualized a smooth running form and a healthy foot. That seemed to help. The only pain, discomfort really, was on above the bony protrusion on my inner ankle. I tried to ascertain whether or not that was tendon pain, but it didn't go up into the calf so I'm guessing its ankle stuff.

So I've got a bunch of questions to asked Maureen (my PT) when I see her Friday. I have been following all instructions, and I do want to point out that she said I could run as long as it was very carefully. I waver between taking it very cautiously to maximize recovery for the long term and the tendency to run through this, which sounds stupid when I write it but basically holds that all this rehab stuff is overblown.

Ultimately I'm taking a middle path. Today the circumstances permitted and it felt right to go and give things a spin. Hard to explain the feeling but its there. The feeling says I'm going at this too conservatively but for now I'll live with that. I will try it again tomorrow morning.

3 miles in 23:10.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

You might be a runner if...
you're on a first name basis with your physical therapist.

Good to hear you're on the road to recovery. I hope that road is free of debris, curbs, etc...

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home