Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, July 06, 2007

iamlearning

I don't think I've ever done a track workout where I haven't learned something.

Today I took my car for an inspection and oil change and ran from the gas station. Al Lawrence said the car would be done in an hour and a half. Just about the time I needed for my workout. So with a quick stop at the bank to deposit some checks, I ran down to Franklin Field, did a mile's worth of strides, and set in to doing Yasso 800s. Thats 800 meter repeats with a 400 recovery.

Weather Underground says its 86 degrees out - a dry heat today with a breeze blowing. Boston Marathon type heat. With this in mind I decided to be flexible, go for 6 to 8 repeats, and only doing repeats 7 and 8 if I was still running strong. The first one felt easy in 2:43, and I was very heartened by this. Next two in 2:42 each and I was feeling smart, as the times were good and it seemed like I was running conservative. Number four was in 2:43 and I was starting to work, and number five went in 2:45. Here I jumped the shark, as I didn't feel like I could do this again. This was number six now, so I gave myself permission to go like this was the last, as it was unlikely there would be another. But that didn't help much, as I posted a 2:52. With that I called it a day and cooled down.

So what did I learn? I learned a healthy respect for heat. I thought I was going out conservative and it was still too fast given this heat. I know in my head that in conditions like this to go out so that it feels way too slow, now I feel I know it on a deeper level. The heat is a patient adversary. I didn't run stupid, nor did I have any problems with the heat. It just wore me down. I'd like to do the workout all over again and try for 2:45+ repeats and see if I couldn't do all 8. But there are two chances I'll do that - slim and none.

I also wonder if I could have sustained 2:42s on a cooler day. I think so. That is encouraging. I'm working my way down and getting a bit more serious with my harder workouts. It'll come. This is shaping up to be a good week sofar.

I made it back to Al's about 5 minutes before my car was ready. Just enough time to have a frosty 20 ounce ice tea and have his son Michael show me his new iPhone. It is indeed way cool.

9.5 miles total, 76:36 with the clock running continuously. I am learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home