Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Mind & Body

Again had a hard time getting out. Not so bad as last week, but I got up at 8 and was running at 10.

After some deliberation I settled on the 15-mile loop that takes me to the Art Museum, around the Drives, and back home. I would take the 8 miles along the Schuylkill hard; I would determine how hard when I got there. I was ambivalent about this run, on one hand it was shorter and slower than I thought I should be doing, on the other hand there was an inner voice that said go with this run. This moderating voice has been active lately, and, although I don't have complete faith in it, it has helped me make peace with the less than stellar mileage I've been logging lately.

There was another function to this run as well. I've got some stuff banging around my head and this run let these thoughts shake around and eventually settle to where I've got some new ideas and insights on this stuff. Its hard to explain but its almost literal, how I can let the stuff thats in my mind just be while I run and I wait for insights to come. Part of this process is that the emotion around these issues, as well as all the self-chatter, proceeds to drop away and I can visualize the stuff as I run down the road. Running is indeed therapy.

I got that mental process going and then I hit the Drives. I picked up a languid pace and hit just under 7 minute pace for the first mile of the four-mile MLK Drive chunk that I hit in 25:32. On the way back down Kelly Drive, I got up to a 6:03ish pace on the way to hitting the back 4 in 24:46. I'm very happy with this, as it all just flowed.

So my running in past weeks is not as regular as I'd like, but I'm doing well in the key workouts that I am doing. Today was a run where I feel like I converted the psychic energy I was producing into fuel for my legs. A good run all around.

15 miles in 1:49:41.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home