Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 15, 2007

Back to the Track

I'm starting to get back to reading folk's blogs. There is a fine line between reading them and spending way more time than I should at it. Ian says there is some service that lets one track blogs much more efficiently, I'll have to do that. But not today.

Along with the local blogs I also got caught up on Mark's blog. Mark checks in here from time to time and got a 5k pr last weekend. Congrats. We must have been on the same wavelength today as we both headed out to the track. For me this is another sign that I'm getting serious about marathon training again. As I have no coach, I went back to picking whatever distance felt right, and this morning it was 1600's. Lets me put in mileage and not beat myself up with speed. This workout was a get reacquainted with the track run - push myself and see where I was at. No peering over the edge into the abyss today.

Ran out 2 miles to the Interboro HS track and 4 laps on the track doing strides. Once there I planned to run 4 1600's. If I got them in in under 6 apiece I'd be satisfied. Just looking to see what I've got. First one came in in 5:40, and this felt right and was pretty respectable. Next two followed at 5:38 and 5:37. Very nice. For the last one, I was right on pace for another 5:40 (1:25 quarters) through the first 1200 and let it rip. I felt that anaerobic burn with about 200 to go and held on to hit this last interval in 5:36. A very elegant workout, and a good start. I'm happy.

Mark got quizzed by a kid today, I got questioned by an older guy who was jog/walking. There were various people on the track during the time I was there - some folks walking, some high school kids half-heartedly racing 400's against each other, and a woman who was dripping with gold bling on her wrists as she jogged her laps. As I blew through the last lap of one of my 400's the old guy asks me what my best marathon time was. I blew by him without answering but he buttonholed me again on my recovery lap. I told him and he was effusive with praise, made me feel like some carpetbagger breaking the speed limit on the local-yokel track.

Got lost on the way back and inadvertantly added a half mile or so onto my cooldown. 11.5 in a total of 89:13.

Yesterday was busy. I didn't get to run until after my class let out at 8 pm. I improvised a quick 5 mile loop through Prospect Park, Essington and Ridley Park neighborhoods. Got some good ideas for future routes and got to learn the geography a bit better. But between the darkness and some tummy trouble, it was merely a run to fulfill the obligation, and even there it was only half the obligation. 5ish in 42:27.

Just a note for the record, I've been real good about getting sleep this week, going to bed before 11 just about every day. This is one of my resolutions for this training cycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home