Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Schafskaelte

"Schafskaelte" is a term my mom mentioned to me tonight. It is German literally for "sheep's cold" and refers to a cool snap that inevitably comes for a few days in June. My mom says that farmers in Germany will wait for this cool snap to pass before shearing the sheep, so that they don't catch cold. Schafskaelte.

I'm following the Phillies on the NY Times website. Phils are playing the Mets and, in the 11th inning, Chase Utley just hit a leadoff homerun. They need to hang on now.

Didn't get to blog yesterday. Sort of a strange run. I first ran 1.75 miles from home down to Ernie's Auto Body shop, where I finally got the air conditioner in my car fixed. From there I parked near Drexel University campus and ran across South Philly, mostly via Catherine and Christian Streets, to the Shot Tower field to watch Tony's baseball team, the Manatees, hold off the Piranhas to win an important playoff game. After the game I ran back, mostly via Bainbridge St. to the Schuylkill Bike Path, across the Spring Garden Bridge and back to the car. Total, which I checked on gmap, was a little over 10 miles.

Two things I like about that run. The run probably took me around 80 minutes, yet had I driven out and back to Tony's game it still would have taken me 40 minutes, easy. So this was very efficient use of time, and saved gas. Second, this run takes me straight across South Philly, and I got to see what was shaking there. Catherine and Bainbridge Streets are just south of Center City, and alot of housing construction is either just up or still going on. It looks like Center City, in the form of gentrification, continues to creep south.

Today I headed down to the art museum this afternoon to meet up with Philly Runners. I don't know many folks there anymore, but there are always a couple. So me, Stevus and Ian set out up Kelly Drive. We lost Stevus pretty early, but Ian and I logged 5 miles on Kelly in under 35 minutes, and then I ran on Spring Garden St. to NoLibs with him, where he lives, had a glass of water, and ran back to Lloyd Hall, where my car was parked, via Girard Ave.

Ironically, running on Girard gave me as good a cross section of North Philly as the cross section I got of South Philly yesterday. Today's cross section was less interesting, perhaps because I didn't notice much more than the same dreary stuff. I thought there was some gentrification going on in Brewerytown, the section of Girard just east of the Schuylkill, but although the houses looked gentrifiable there didn't look to be much going on. Not that that is a bad thing.

Ian and I vowed (although no blood was drawn and there was no pinkie promises involved) that we would each have a 100 mile week, preferably on the same week, before this marathon cycle is through. Just not this week.

Call it 10 miles in 79.41. Schafskaelte.

1 Comments:

Blogger U2 Runner said...

Seebo that is probably your first time running in South Philly since the 2st 5k run. Im hopping this September you will once again be the road whore for team Shidoobee. You have to defend your title as reigning 5k overall Champ. You and Andy were awesome last year.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home