Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Run the Monk

Why did I think this was a good idea?

At least I had the good sense not to bring any expectations with me out to Springfield. As promised, it was 90+ degrees out, humid, and a very hilly course. The race was on a Friday afternoon, a bit like the Media 5 miler which I've been out to a few times, and a race that I never did well in. I figured this race would likely be like that.

Went to the race with Reba, who had her own team of Red Rovers all set to go. Warmed up with Ian and Dave Thomas. One of Dave's many coaching hats is that of advisor to Students Run Philly Style, a running program for inner city kids that had over 200 kids and mentors out this evening, more than half of the total people racing. I felt loose warming up, not surprising given the heat. No one fast that Ian or I recognized at the line, although there was someone in racing flats with thin sinewy legs, a receding hairline, and an all around Alan Webb look to him that got me and Ian wondering.

I go to stash my shirt at the last second and come back about 5 seconds after the gun goes off. This would probably get me disqualified if the race meant anything but I just jumped in and proceeded. When the lead pack shook out I was fourth. As promised, the hills were there, not steep but so that you were either going up or down. Mile 1 read 5:08, that had to be short. A little before mile 2 Ian catches up to me, we run together for a bit, him leading on the uphills, me catching back up on the downhills, and mile 2 goes by in 10:55. More like the pace I feel we are at. Ian pulls away and it becomes a race of attrition. There is no one in sight behind me (I am now in fifth place) and Ian widens his lead. He eventually overtakes the #3 guy and I close in on him as well, but around a turn and there is the finish, meaning I ran out of real estate and settle for fifth.

17:23. Not my finest hour, but I didn't expect it to be. This can sit in my craw for the summer and prod me to get my times down. The Alan Webb lookalike turned out to be Larry Levy, a guy I know by name only who happens to be 41, meaning I missed getting first masters. My hat's off to Larry, who ran a 16:47. I hope I get to run against him sometime this fall. The number six guy came in 56 seconds after I did.

I, like most, were drenched in sweat. I waited for Reba to come in and we all migrated back to the start, where there was a band, barbecue and beer, and lots of grass to sit. This is what races are all about. After all, you spend less than a half hour actually running the bloody thing. Also had lots of good company so that it was after 10 pm that Reba and I headed out, with any fitness gained from the run pretty much worked off.

Call it another 4.5 miles with the warmup. I didn't bother cooling down. No point to it.

Didn't run today. Should have but didn't. I have my reasons. I'm giving myself one more week and then training for Twin Cities starts to become more structured.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Yeah, but did you beat the monk?

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home