Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, June 11, 2007

Something Wild

Got two runs to catch up on.

Yesterday's run set me out on a route that I wanted to try for a while. It goes through Essington and Tinicum townships and then circles around the ass-end of the airport on Hog Island road. This is where planes come in about 50 feet overhead as they touchdown on the runway that starts just to the left. Here I run past the fire training site with its burnt out mock fuselages. The storage tanks, the hangars, etc. Its a long lonely flat run. Loaded up my iPod with new music beforehand, and spend the run listening to Drag the River and a collection of Chris Knight demo tapes.

This loop led to, where else, Tinicum, and I took the last five miles through here. Here I started listening to John Hiatt from an Austin City Limits show, and one of the songs on there was "Something Wild." This was a motivating song from last year around this time. Hearing it yesterday afternoon automatically quickened my pace and sharpened my appetite, but the words had a different meaning this time around. I find I'm more focused this year on where I'm heading to, not what I'm running from.

I hear voices in the hall
I wake up and its nothing at all
An angry wolf or a hungry child
Or something wild
Something wild (tell me love is)...

With that I dropped the pace down from about 8 to 7:30 and came home. Good to have a kick left at the end of a 15.5 mile loop. 2:04:25.

This morning I was up and going on a regular figure 8 through the refuge. Went to a Cowboy Junkies concert in Pheonixville last night that was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, all in all a magical night. I was listening to their new album this morning trying to relive the show. After my usual slow start I picked up the pace consistently, getting it down to about a 6:30. The four sections went down in 29:35; 14:36; 14:12 & 19:46. Just felt strong this morning and went with it. Being plugged in and focused didn't keep me from getting a good turkey sighting, as well as some herons, egrets and a flock of really bright Goldfinches.

It started to rain just as I finished. 10 in 78:09. First time I ran this loop in sub 80 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home