Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

In Training for the Guerilla in Phila

Didn't run yesterday, unplanned but probably for the best. Ian again stepped up to get me going again and we ran into what was probably the worst running weather of the year.

Hot and humid. Ian and I ran a variation of the Bloody Nipple loop that I used to run to prep for my Philly marathon training. Instead of going past the Art Museum this variation went past the zoo and cut off a few miles. The cool feature about this variation is that it includes a stretch, from 34th and Market to the stop sign before the Civil War Memorial arch, that is the toughest part of the Philly Marathon course and which clocks in at exactly 2 miles. I'd run it tempo in prep for when I ran Philly in 05, then took a downhill recovery on Black Road, and did another 2 on MLK at tempo.

So we did this loop and I was looking out to go hard. On the first stretch we nailed this in 11:29. Looking through my 2005 log, I don't see that I ran this any faster than year than in 11:50. I'm impressed with myself physically here, but I'm not too impressed with my judgment for having run it on this morning. Instead of running another two miles at tempo we ran 1.5 miles hard (9:14) to Falls River Bridge.

When we hit the base of the Bloody Nipple we ran into Veena, the inspiration for that hill's moniker. Veena started running with us up the hill, but surely decided we were too slow and graciously said she changed her mind about running hills, and headed back to Kelly Drive. That left me and Ian in a Death March for the rest of the way home.

Total 12 miles in 88:40.

Speaking of Ian, his annual Guerrilla 5k is now set. Here is his post advertising it, all are welcome:

Guerrilla 5k III: The Kevin Jude and Kevin Costello Memorial Assault on Philadelphia
Fast, Flat, and Dangerous
City Hall North Side, July 8th, 9AM.

The G5K will be a little different this year, but with all the old features you love: a complete lack of organization, utter disregard for participant safety, open streets, and course measurement that rivals Lin-Mark in accuracy. Gone are the signature hills and bucolic forest setting, traded in for crowded city sidewalks, smog, and stop lights.

Course is To Be Determined. By You.
When you arrive at the start at City Hall, you'll be shown the Start/Finish Line, and a turnaround point address will be revealed to you. How you get there is up to you. Following city streets without shortcuts will get you 5k, but shortcuts are possible, and cheating is encouraged.

As always: roads will not be closed and runners run at their own risk. Runners recognize that running is an inherently dangerous activity especially when hit by cars. Race director shall remain anonymous.

Prizes will suck and t-shirts will be ugly. More details to follow. Please RSVP here if you plan to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home