Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Lead Footed

On tap for today was this workout:

10 mile progression run at these paces:

8.15-8.00-8.00-7.45-7.15-7.00.7.00.6.30.6.15.7.00.

Went down to Lloyd Hall, behind the Art Museum, and took Kelly Drive for five marked miles and turned around and went back. The drives are good for this run because the quarter miles are marked, so I'm getting almost constant data on pace. I did the same thing I've been doing on paced workouts, going out too fast. Typical pattern on these miles is that I went out too fast on the first quarter and then tried, with mixed success, to reign in my pace for the rest of the mile. My splits were:

8:06; 7:53; 7:58; 7:36; 7:09; 6:59; 6:56; 6:28; 6:14; 6:56. Prescribed time for the total 10 miles was 73 minutes, I ran it in 72:18.

This run also came at the end of a difficult morning. There's a sadness and anxiety in the air. Its mornings like these when I realize how much I need to run. And I'm not alone in this sentiment. It was good to be out, its mild and grey outside, and I had to make myself look out on the Schuylkill, with its bridges and placid water, and take it in. We complain how tired we are of running the Drives, and this morning I realized how spoiled we are in this. On runs like this I don't think I could ever get tired of that loop. Looking back, I just wish I hadn't obsessed like I did about my pacing.

When I got back to my car I saw that I had a message from GP. I called back and it was nice to have someone to debrief the run with as soon as it was done. What he said helped, telling me not to sweat the pacing, that this was a morning where things just felt fast. And he was right, the run, not too challenging for me on any day, seemed a no brainer today. And he agreed with my self analysis from yesterdays run and promised me there'd more of the same kind of workouts to work out my pacing.

Got to embrace that sadness, hold it tight and do what's got to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home