Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Heading to the Promised Land

Legs are still too beat up to do my usual Tuesday morning BN workout, and I took Mike's (who's become my de facto coach) advice to go easy this week. So as soon as I woke up this morning I was mentally mapping out a long easy route and thinking about what to listen to on the way.

Settled for an extended version of the Acme Loop that now, ironically, completely bypasses the Acme food distribution center that the loop was named after. As for music, I chose Dave Alvin's live cd. There is so much disk space on my iPod that I get to loading stuff on and then forgetting I have it (like a squirrel burying nuts), and so its gotten to the point where I can dig around and find some great stuff that I've hardly listened to. Alvin's cd is one example of this.

The best song on there is a version of Alvin's "Jubilee Train" that incorporates Woody Guthrie's "Do Re Mi" and Chuck Berry's "Promised Land". Nine minutes long and playing it twice drove me up North Concourse Ave, past the Moses statue and over the Lebanon Hill and through Wynnewood into Overbrook (Scott's turf). On the second time around listening to "Promised Land," a song where the narrator recounts a manic trip out to California, I realized that was exactly what I was doing in training for the California International Marathon - heading for the Promised Land. So I got me a theme song this morning.

I also got me a thoroughly enjoyable run this morning. Continued to be sunny and mild (once the sun came up) with mist hanging low over the fields out west of 63rd St. Freed from the tyranny of hammering the BN, I just took it slow. This is the kind of running I envision when I finally slow down and dispense with all of this racing silliness.

11.5 miles in 97:24.

Tell the folks back home that the Promised Land's a' calling
And this poor boy's on the line

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home