Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Walking Blues

Woke up this morning, reached for my shoes
You know I got a case
o' them walking blues. . .

Its amazing how many blues lyrics can be applied to running. It took every trick I knew this morning to get myself out of the door. Perhaps the most effective one was the promise to myself that I could run at whatever pace I wanted and run with Muddy Waters on the iPod. Comfort music if you wish. The album (London Muddy Waters Sessions) was perfect for my mood this morning, and I could tune into the music at the point where the backbeat meets harmonica and guitar. Incredibly sad music.

Ran 11.5 miles this morning. Usually do speedier stuff on Thursdays but I'm pushing those workouts to Fridays for the remaining weeks when I have the Fridays off. So I just did an Acme loop (9.5 m in 79:54) and a 39th St. loop (2+m in 16:17) this morning.

This makes 14 straight days of double digit mileage. Best I can tell this beats my previous best streak of this, which was 11. The problem with getting to this point is that the relentlessness of this whole running business sets in. I put in 11 today and I know I'll wake up tomorrow morning and the monkey will be taunting me again, asking how many miles I'm going to feed him this time around. Day in, day out, with the temptation growing to take a day off and the question of why I'm putting all these miles in getting more and more unanswerable. So as this streak builds this pressure builds as well. Perhaps its at this point where the true benefits of this "exercise" kick in. . . whatever those benefits may actually be.

Gimme one more kiss babe before I go,
I'm gonna leave here running, cause walking's much too slow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home