Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, July 09, 2006

G5K v 2.0

Big day for sporting events - World Cup final, Wimbledon men's final, Tour de France, and the Guerrilla 5k.

I took my iPod with me to run again, anticipating I'd be doing some miles alone. But I ran out to the start of the G5K with KJ and Silas (22:21). Then I ran the Guerrilla 5k. Some guy did a heckuva job organizing it, as the start and finish were at the Civil War Memorial and the course was challenging and very well marked. Some guy has a future in race directing. There were maybe 15-20 people participating in the race (at least one still in utero) and, at the start, me and four others went up to the front. Rounding 40th to Sweetbriar to South Concourse, the start of this race was fast up to a little past the first mile, when it ascends up South Georges Hill (behind the Mann Music Center). Here we lost Steve K (he played soccer after our run yesterday), John W and Bike Mike, so it was just me and Stevus (short for Jesus Steve).

My plan for this race was to just hang with the fastest runner, and make sure I wouldn't get outkicked at the end. If there was someone who could outkick me, it was Stevus, so I picked the pace up a bit going up South Georges to make sure he would have to push to keep up with me, but not so fast that I would lose him. I kept some banter going so as to give the impression that this was easy for me, but he gave it right back to me. When S. Georges turned into Belmont, the course became flat again and for the final half mile it turns back onto South Concourse, for a slight downhill until the war memorial finish. Neither Stevus nor I wanted to kick, so we made sure that John W, in third, was far enough behind us as we cruised hand in hand to tie for first. Second year running I shared first place honors in the G5K. Finishing time was 19:05, I'm holding out that the course was long, way long. Yeah, that's it.

Great shirts, and book of collected Tom Tomorrow comics for a prize, and good camraderie as, except for a few folks, everyone knew each other. Took some group pictures and also some club West Philly pics, as four of the five of us were there. Cool shirts as well.

Post race I ran with Steve K to Jim's apartment in Center City (25:25), where a great post race spread was, well, spread out and we sipped mimosas and watched the Tour de France. After that me and Jody ran back to West Philly (29:15) where, after he turned home, I finally got to put my iPod on for the last half mile.

We have arrived too late to play in the bleeding heart show.

Great morning, thanks to Ian and Jim for putting the essential parts of it together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home