Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, July 14, 2006

Mad Dogs and Little Kids

I checked in with my peeps yesterday. Ian, John and Jim all were complaining how hard it is to run in this heat. I guess its a combination environmental/psychological thing that we're all feeling around now. Just gotta hang in there and stick it out.

Then this morning I joined Erin and KJ just as KJ was chastising Erin about complaining of the heat. I said if anyone was entitled to complain, it was a pregnant lady (3rd trimester no less) out for a run on a July morning. That put things in perspective for me and I felt better, or at least less sorry for myself than I did yesterday.

This morning's workout was an easy eight, Cobbs Creek to Woodland and back around. It started off hazy and humid and then the sun burned off the haze and it became sunny and more comfortable. I realized I was the only one not carrying a baby in some way shape or form. But I put in my time (with the running stroller) back in 97. 8 miles in 72:58.

I did go out again and hit the Franklin Field track at around 1 this afternoon. It took me that long to get out there due to a mixture of errands and procrastination. Not surprisingly, there was no one else out on the track when I started 800 meter repeats. I wanted to do a minimum of four good ones, and not push myself after that. First four went in 2:39, 2:36, 2:37 and 2:37, a little better than I dared hope for. After that I figured keep that up till I couldn't. Number five went in 2:39 and I then really had to push to get a sixth rep in 2:39. After that rep I knew I had peaked, and today there was no sense in continuing. So I left happy. 400 meter recoveries, 4 mile out and back. 8.5 miles total.

I'm happy with this. I trained hard and have something to show for it. It feels like this is the way I should be training for the conditions I'm likely to encounter at the Rock n Roll half on Labor Day weekend in Va Beach - my next target race. And I don't consider myself a good warm weather runner, so being able to get a track workout like that in on a day like today has me feeling good about my fitness.

I don't know if its me or runners in general but more often then not, when I pass preschool kids while running they look at me with fascination. During my middle reps a guy brought his young son onto the track and whenever I would come around the kid would start running in the adjacent lane until I blew by him. Very cute. He had a good leg turnover for a three year old, and seemed to get the gist of running. Keep him away from the track, dad, it will only break his heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home