Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Metaphors

Sing Ta na na Ta na na na
She got diamonds on the soles of her shoes

This was playing at the start of BSR on Sunday and I thought what a great metaphor. I can't exactly explain the metaphor other than the meaning I give it must very different from what Paul Simon has in mind for it. But that underscores two things about the metaphors: the better metaphors are more than a little obtuse; and, metaphors, like kids (to use a metaphor), are beyond your control as soon as you put them into the world.

Anyway, when I hit the streets this morning at 5:45 I visualized diamonds on the soles of my shoes. Hard, glinting, and propelling me forward.

But even diamonds didn't move me too fast this morning. If yesterday was still the high, today was the hangover. If yesterday was the Yellow Brick Road, today was the March from Bataan. Need I use more metaphors?

I set out to go longer this morning. To initiate my base training. Legs were still sore, but there was nothing delicious about it. Took the longer version of the BN loop. Slogged it out to MLK, did 4 miles in just sub-8 along the river, went up ample, curvacious BN and noticed a fork stuck in my back (metaphorically) when I got to Ford Road. The last five miles really sucked, and now I'm clinging to the railing as I pull myself up the stairs. Needless to say, I overextended myself a bit today. 13 miles in 1:51:48.

Welcome to base training. Be prepared for much more of this. And oh yeah, it will get hotter.

Incidentally (and I shouldn't be surprised), there is a "Bataan Memorial Death March" held in Arizona. It is 26.2 miles long.

But that's all shove be'ind me -- long ago an' fur away,
An' there ain't no 'busses runnin' from the Bank to Mandalay;
An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells:
"If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else."
No! you won't 'eed nothin' else
But them spicy garlic smells,
An' the sunshine an' the palm-trees an' the tinkly temple-bells;
On the road to Mandalay . . .
- Rudyard Kipling

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home