Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bottle Days

You know those days that you wish you could bottle and put up on a shelf and then open on race days. When running goes fast and comes effortlessly, and its just a joy to be out there.

Well, today wasn't one of those days. Not enough sleep over the last few days and general malaise had my legs sore in a way that, if it was an ICD-10 diagnosis, would read "leg soreness - not otherwise specified." Still, I ventured to do 11 miles on Strawberry Mansion loop, if nothing else as an exercise in mental toughness - forcing myself to go longer and to pick it up in a vague kind of way along the 3.5 MLK miles.

Even running past Penn Relays, going full swing at Franklin Field, failed to inspire me. My head was in a fog not unlike how I felt in Paris or how you see in Claritin commercials. Getting down to the river, it took a whole lotta mental oomph to push it down to 6:45 for the first mile, about 6:25 for the second mile, and about a 6 minute pace for the last mile and a half. Total for that 3.5 stretch was 22:08 - 6:20 - which I'll take on a day like today. Brisk but not fast, it forced me to push, which is a skill that needs developing as much as any other.

The rest of the run was non-eventful. Beautiful day, first one of the year where I doffed the shirt and worked on my tan. Ran past Lex St. and construction is in full swing now, looks like houses are going up. For some reason they don't have basements - wassup with that.

Total time was 86:13.

And now that the monkey has been fed for the day, I can look forward to going to Penn Relays after teaching tonight; I should get there in time to catch most of the 5000m and 10000m action and watch people who, for another year, innoculate me against any foolish thoughts that I may get that hint that my running is anything approaching hot shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home