Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, May 08, 2006

Eisheiligen

Our seemingly endless streak of beautiful spring days came to an end today, as today was an overcast chilly day. Disappointing but not surprising, they brought back warm thoughts of my grandmother. She'd speak of (as does my Mom) the "Eisheiligen" or Ice Saints, a German tradition marking three cold days that regularly appear in mid May on the feast days of specific saints. I don't remember the details, but its been ingrained in me that winter isn't done until the Eis-heiligen have passed.

Looking at the Goethe Institute's webpage provides more info on the Eisheiligen:

Originally these days commemorated three saints - St. Pankraz, St. Servaz and St. Bonifaz. Today they are known as the "Ice Saints" days as they often coincide with a cold weather period. In southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland May 15th is added to the 'Ice Saints' Days and commemorates St. Sophie who is colloquially known as the 'Cold Sophie' (Die Kalte Sophie). In the old days farmers and wine growers burned wet wood, green twigs and soil, which rose to form a thick smoky fog over the valleys. This fog helped to protect any new growth and blossoms from the frost. The 'Ice Saints' are still widely observed today in the sense that many gardeners and farmers wait until mid May has passed before planting seedlings.

I seem to remember my grandmother, Puppe I called her, make mention of the specific saints which included "die Kalte Sophie" but I'm not sure. Even in the US, however, this cold snap is pretty dependable, though apparently a bit early this year.

Anyway, I ran today solely because I wanted to. Four miles on the Cemetary Ave. loop - up Woodland, across on Cemetary Ave, and back down Kingsessing to finish up at the ARC. Joie de courir - hanging on to a piece of yesterday's ghost that I'll be chasing all summer. Legs felt deliciously sore. 29:59 was the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home