Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Get your Beach Body in 28 days

An article featured on a magazine cover I saw today. Reminded me to register for the RocknRoll half marathon in Virginia Beach on Labor Day weekend. This year we got a hotel reservation on the beach and the whole family will go.

Didn't run yesterday. I've noticed that the hardest time to run is the day after a punishing run. Throw in some complications in my schedule and its almost a sure bet that taking the day off will be very tempting. I succumbed to that temptation yesterday. I am not yet in training again, so I wont beat myself up about it.

That made it more important to get out today, so I don't slump. Once again it takes a village. . . Tony had a baseball game this morning during my usual running time, but Jeff came through this afternoon and took Tony to play with his son (and Tony's buddy) Julian, which gave me a few hours to take off. I was going to do the 13-mile BN loop, but early on I decided I had it in me to go 15 on the Fall River Bridge loop, which goes from my house around the Drives and back. Gorgeous afternoon to run, lots of people out.

I planned to take the Drives briskly, by which I meant sub 7 minute pace. First mile went in about 6:30 and felt easy, so I kept dropping the pace and hit the Falls River bridge (4 timed miles) in 25:16. The four miles back to the Art Museum got dropped further, down to 6 minute (i.e., marathon) pace (4m in 23:59). This pace was relatively easy at first and I had to push a bit to keep it up at the end. Couldn't have done 26 of those today, but I was happy to get those four in. Looking at my running log, the last time I did this loop I ran those 8 even a little faster. This piqued my curiosity, as I couldn't remember the workout, and sure enough I wrote all about it here. The conditions were quite different.

On the cooldown I ran into Allen W, a guy who lives in the neighborhood whom I last saw in Wilmington back at a 5k race in January. I beat Allen that race but his times have dropped substantially since then to where he seems in shape to throttle me soundly when we both race Broad Street next Sunday. We talked about getting together for some runs and I hope it works out, as he is the kind of guy I need to be training with.

Ate a cold stromboli and the leftover end of Tony's hot dog for lunch just before the run. Not exactly performance enhancers. Also realized midway through the run that all I had to drink all day was a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee before Tony's game. That made for an uncomfortable cooldown.

Penn Relays was packed this afternoon. Kevin F, Chuck and a couple of other guys are running on a team in the Masters 400 relay, and Duncan is running today as well. Wish them all luck. Considered going but would have had to give up my run. I think ultimately running is more a participatory than a spectator sport, so the choice for me was clear. Training starts in earnest for me again after Broad Street, and I need to get more obsessive about it. Today was a good, albeit modest start.

After all, I need to get my beach body before the Virginia Beach half.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Ditto for me!! I'm planning on running that race. Maybe I'll have my beach body by then.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home