Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

White Line Fever

I'm appropriating the title from a Merle Haggard song about truck-driving (no, not cocaine) and applying it to my feelings about the track today.

Went out to the Franklin Field, which I've decided is the one spot in this world where I most directly face the chasm between what I can achieve and what I want to achieve.

Figured I'd set a doable goal of four 1600's at 5:30 pace. The results were: first rep in 5:34, second in 5:33, then 5:39 and final one in 5:55. One more instance of thinking I'm being conservative when I'm setting goals that are a little too ambitious.

Again, that won't bother me as long as I'm on an arc of improvement over the fall. Its too early to tell if that is the case or not.

Paradoxically, I'm most proud of my last rep, as I felt cooked by the end of the first 400 and really had to push to get under six despite every fiber of my body commanding me to stop this silliness as I was already running too slow for this rep to be of any consequence. Going up against such mental and physical limits, often at the same time, that is why I both love and hate the track.

Although it may not sound like it, I'm shooting to make this an easy week, given that the past three weeks have all been 70+ miles and I've got the half-marathon coming up this weekend. I did take yesterday off, and (except for Thursday's tempo run) will go mellow for the rest of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home