Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, January 28, 2005

Wind Chill?

Seems like I've been complaining about this cold for going on two weeks now. It won't let up and should go on through the weekend. This morning the temps were in the single digits, with a little wind along the Schuylkill that made the run a little tougher. The only stuff I have for cold is cotton, so I put an extra thermal shirt under my hooded sweatshirt and an extra pair of sox in my pocket in case my hands got too cold with just gloves. But I was relatively comfortable once we got started.

Did the usual 6.5 loop with E. The topic of conversation for much of the run was the wind chill, specifically, is there any instrumental way to measure wind chill and, assuming there isn't, how does one measure wind chill? Yes I know there is some formula that calculates it based on the wind speed and temp but how do you validate this? Is wind chill anything more than subjective? Once we got started on this it became a slippery slope, with one unanswerable question leading to another. At the same time, the headwind along the river definitely made me realize that wind chill exists, especially on an exposed area around my trachea that really got raw.

But once we hit Powelton Village and the wind died down the run became much more bearable and by the time we hit Locust Walk we had us a good pace going, so much so that we stayed on Locust up to 51st St., extending the loop to 7.5 miles. Time was 68.27.

I need all the extra miles I can get this week. After my Tuesday blog entry I missed my Wednesday workout. Yesterday I couldn't get my ass out of bed in the morning; I had been up until 1:30 working the night before, but I managed to get in 12 miles at lunch - 11 on the treadmill and 1 cooldown mile on the indoor track. I started the tm at about 7:30 and took it down to 6:30 before maxing out the pace at 6:00 for the last mile to ensure that the total run would go under 7 minute pace. Total time for the first 11 was 76:45. I didn't time the last mile.

So I am hanging on this week. If I get 15 in tomorrow and 10 on Sunday then I'll eke 50 out of this wretched week, which will make the week less than a total write off. But, given the snow and the cold, I am currently in survival mode. Just see about getting miles in and ride it out until the conditions improve. Nothing more ambitious than that. And it seems hard to believe, but the conditions will improve. . . someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home