Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, January 21, 2005

Still Cold

Still cold. Probably the coldest run of them all. Ran the usual 6am 6.5 mile Art Museum loop with E. The run was slow (63.34) although probably not as slow as dividing the miles into the times would let on, as the loop distances are generally conservative (I'm very anal about not overstating my mileage). But the slow pace was probably beneficial to my legs, even though it did force me to stay out in the cold a few minutes more.

That being said, even with the abbreviated run yesterday I'm still logging more mileage this week than I did at this point last week. I had some knee pain, of the old, familiar variety, last night and early this morning but that did not hamper my run this morning.

I'm thinking that maybe it is not such a bad thing to skip a few days on this blog and then summarize, as this is turning into what I wanted to avoid, just a glorified and slightly expanded upon running log. I wanted to use running as a takeoff point to explore ideas and thoughts that pop into my mind as I run. That is of course harder to do than to just report mileage and complain how cold it is, but it also takes more time. Time is tough to find and I've been looking to sandwich these blog entries in when I have ten or fifteen minutes free time, such as I do now.

But I'll keep slogging, er blogging, on for now, with the idea that any writing is better than no writing. Here, as in many things pertaining to self-discipline, I take a lesson from my running. Just go out there and do it, day in and day out. Some days will feel like I can take on the Kenyans (okay, the slower Kenyans), but most days I feel like I'm putting in mileage and have to keep the faith that all this will work together for a greater good. So if this blog entry were a run, it would definitely be an early morning one in the dark. Not necessarily a cold run, but one where the split time at 38th and Baltimore (which I use as a checkpoint) reads at close to twelve minutes which means that the pace has started slow and the rest of the run is likely to be a sluggish, especially if my brain is going at that pace as well. But there is something about running where the individual workout performances don't matter as much as the sum of the training over the long haul.

A synergistic approach, I guess, and, on mornings like these, one I desperately have to believe applies to writing as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home