Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, January 07, 2005

New Brunswick

I spent the day in New Brunswick NJ, the home of Rutgers University. Got in last night and found out that the place I was staying did not have a fitness center. I laugh at myself now, but I just took it for granted that all hotels have fitness centers.

So as an alternative I grabbed a map, plotted a course for Bucchleuch Park (www.newbrunswick.com/historic.asp) and the Raritan River, with the plan to retrace my steps after 35 minutes. The course took me through part of Rutgers campus, into and out of downtown (including the "theater district"), and through some residential neighborhoods to the park whose name I can't pronounce and then a little further across the Raritan, which was brown and swollen with the recent rain. I hit the turnaround right at the 35 minute mark and it took me 25 minutes to get back to the hotel.

It was only on the way back that I got a rhythm, as I spent the leg out focusing too much on reading the map and getting the course right. I've never run with a map before, and ordinarily would not have been so particular about getting the course right but I had to be back on time. New Brunswick seems like a town that is doing well, as downtown has a good assortment of stores and a fair amount of construction going on. There seems to be a mix of town and gown, of races/ethnicities, and of big and small houses. I broke a PR for most cop cars seen on a run behind pulled over cars (3), so be careful if you ever drive through NB.

Conservatively, I called the run 5.5 miles. Definitely a mellow workout but also one which reinforces that there is more to running than the workout. Following the run I got ready for my day and then spent the next 7 hours in a meeting discussing the intersection between criminal justice and mental health services. While this amounts to great fun for wonks like me, had I not run I would have spent the whole day in NB with little sense of where I was at.

Seebo 1; Treadmill 0.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home