Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Rainy Day

Got out of bed at 5:30 this morning to the sound of pouring rain. Thus I stayed in and resisted the temptation to crawl back into bed. Among other things I finished up my 2004 running log and set up my 2005 log.

For the first time in the five years I've been keeping logs, my total 2004 mileage failed to exceed my previous years' mileages. I ran a total of just over 2500 miles in 04, about 50 miles less than 03. This was mostly due to the cutbacks I made in the fall due to the IT band problems.

But in the spirit of new beginnings, my new, empty log (a primitive Excel spreadsheet) inspired me to pencil in a treadmill workout over my lunch hour. I'm an academic so my lunch hour is somewhat flexible. Surprisingly, the existence of this blog also motivated me to run as I needed material for it.

So I did 6 miles in 47:10 on the "hamster wheel" in USP's athletic center. The good news is that I felt virtually no knee pain, the bad news is that this was perhaps due to the pain from my right calf (which cramped up on yesterdays run) blotted this out. Anyway I won't complain.

Couple of quick observations:

This workout would normally represent a modest effort for me, but I again had to expend more energy that I'm accustomed to to crank this one out. After writing yesterday it occurred to me that this was like a ball player coming into spring training - overweight and out of practice - and the first order of the day is getting into shape for the oncoming season. That's me, as this is about the time to start training for the spring season.

My run was much facilitated by music from my iPod - a mix I made of what can be loosely described as alt-country tunes. Almost all of these songs get me up - providing 1) a rhythm that I can set my pace to and 2) vocals, guitar, pedal steel or something that pumps me emotionally.

The prospect of having to write something in this blog transforms my workout. First, the specter of having to write in it pushes me to workout on a day like today where I could have easily taken a day off. Second, while I run my mind is buzzing about what to write. The closest I can come to describing it is the feeling I get when I have a camcorder (and why I hate them). You simultaneously are in the event and are outside of the event looking in. I'm not sure how I'm going to like this reflexivity, but for now I'll continue to track it.

I'm sure I'll spend more time on each of these issues as the blog continues. Stay tuned.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home