Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Back Home

Well, back in Philly after spending the holidays in Texas.

As I said in my previous post, I got some work to do to get my a-game back. I got on the scale this morning and weighed in at 186, 11 pounds over my usual weight. No wonder I was plodding along last Saturday.

Ran 6 yesterday and 8 today, at about 8 or 8:20 pace. I'm not so worried about my pace at this point as I want to get in miles. Yesterday went okay but today was a struggle. I've got a low grade but persistent IT band soreness on my left knee and, as usual, it was not painful but it was there. I've been fighting this for most of the fall, and had drastically cut back running after the Philly marathon in mid-November in an effort to shake it, to no avail. So now my strategy is to run with it until it either clears up (hey, I've had injuries go away) or gets to the point where its too painful to run.

I ran my usual 8 mile route, down through U of Pennsylvania, across the river into Center City, along the bike path to the Art Museum and then up W. River Drive just past the zoo, where I cut back through Fairmount Park and Mantua to return home. Leaving at 6 a.m. these days means most of the run is in the dark, and it was drizzly today as well. Thus there was no sun, but light came through a bluish filter that cast the Schuylkill, about the time I passed the Girard Bridge, to look like a painting right out of Picasso's blue period. This blue bore down on me metaphysically as well, as I they matched the tint of my thoughts, mostly about the work I'm wrestling with. About this time a cramp started up in my right calf that bugged me for the rest of the way home. Bananas and water today.

So not the best of runs but it is now a done run. Its a weird situation, where I'm telling myself to feel good about humping through runs that are shorter and less intense than what I'm used to logging. But I don't want to think about that, I just want to get back into the rhythm. The rest, I'm hoping, will take care of itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home