Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, January 17, 2005

Catching Up

Missed a few days in my blog, but its good to be back.

Friday I did not run. It was pouring rain in the morning and my schedule was too cluttered to get a workout in during the rest of the day. This is why I usually won't schedule DNR's, as they will pop up on their own. The key here is flexibility, as I enjoyed my day off and planned to run longer on Sunday to get my weekly mileage goal of 60 in. I also can't think of a sweeter sound than rain banging against the windowpane after the alarm goes off at 5:30 am.

Saturday I ran a 15 miler, a figure 8 that incorporated my usual 6.5 mile loop and the 8.5 mile loop on West River and Kelly Drives. On Saturday mornings I'll usually meet some folks in front of the Art Museum, but no one was there this morning so it was me and my iPod. It was cold enough so that the headphone wires became stiff and ill-fitting in my ears, but otherwise Randy Garibay, my alt country mix, and James McMurtry kept me company. The Drives have every quarter mile marked and I averaged about a 7:10 pace going around the loop. Felt great.

Sunday I ran home after church in Germantown with M. We both agreed to consciously keep the pace mellow, and held about an 8 minute pace. The run is 10 miles, point to point along the Wissahickon, Kelly Dr. and thru West Philly. If nothing else, M's gotten to see a good slice of Philadelphia by running.

Today I went out on my own at 6am and stretched my 6.5 mile Art Museum loop to an 8 mile Sweetbriar loop. It was cold enough today (hi teens, lo 20s) that I donned tights and my bulky U of Penn hooded sweatshirt with sleeves long enough for my hands to retreat into so I don't need gloves. Except for the lack of a hat, this is about as warm as I'll dress and I probably could have done ok with less today. This goes against all orthodoxy, but my main strategy for keeping warm on a very cold day is with a loose fitting sweatshirt that creates a layer of body-warmed air around my torso. If my trunk is warm then the rest of my body tends to feel fine. On less cold days I freeze a little at first and then am comfortable in shorts and a tee right down to 30 degrees.

So you have my winter dress philosophy. No wicking or special variants of artificial fibers and the like. I like it because its simple. Its also, for better or worse, given me a reputation as somewhat odd. But I'll take that over tying jackets and shirts around my waist mid run.

I logged 60 miles last week, exactly where I want to be. I'm running the distances and the pace I want, and my knee pain is, for the moment, non-existent. In short, my training is going extremely well at the moment. Shoot for about 65 this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home