Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, January 09, 2005

End of Week 1

Today, Sunday, wraps up the first full week of the new year. It also means that the new year is no longer so new anymore. The novelty of all the things we pledged to start in the new year is going away, and the hard work of keeping these up is starting.

Ran my 6.5 mile Art Museum loop this morning. Had to run it in the dark or else it wouldn't have gotten run. This means that I didn't get a full night's sleep at all this weekend. But it also means I logged 52 miles this week. Not great but decent for where I am in my training and it puts me on course to run over 200 miles this month. I'll be happy if I get there. The scale, however, is not budging from 187. This means I'm still lugging at least 10 unnecessary pounds with me on each run.

Ran the loop this morning with M., who is a student at a small central Pennsylvania college who is staying with us for a week and a half while he's taking an intensive course here in Philly. He runs cross country and pushed me to run the loop in 52.27, a few minutes faster than I've been running it. I like showing people the loop for the first time, as it makes running it new again as I try to imagine the familiar through other people's eyes.

And finally, today was the Disney marathon. One of the things that has led me to blogging was guiding some folks who were training to run marathons under the Arthritis Foundation's Joints in Motion program. This consisted mainly of meeting whoever wanted to come out to a group run on Saturday mornings, keeping in touch by email, and being available for advice etc. if people needed it. As is typical with groups of people, some took advantage of me as a resource, others I only got acquainted with, and still a third group I never got to know past their names. Three folks finished Disney. One, S., worked hard at her training and made it to her first marathon despite a number of injuries. She finished in 4:38 and I'm very happy for her. Two others I was only acquainted with, J. and N., also both finished the marathon in walking times. Again, I'm glad they finished. I only have finishing times off of the web for each of them however so I look forward to hearing details about how their races went. This was the last of three marathons that people in JIM were training for, so it puts closure on this program for the season. I don't know if I will continue my involvement with this. But right now I'm enjoy the rewarding feeling that comes from seeing folks finishing a marathon after watching their training for some months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home