Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Baby Steps

Is anybody still checking in on this blog?

When I last checked in, about a week ago, I was on my way to see a physical therapist about back pain I got as a result of a bicycle accident. My back started getting better even before I made it out to the PT (figures) and after the PT prodded and wrenched and did other stuff that PTs do, he diagnosed my pain, by then very low-grade, as a lumbar strain. In other words, something that would get better all by itself. Still, it was reassuring to hear that the pain was all muscular.

The other reason I went to the PT was to get an authoritative opinion on when to start running again without aggravating this strain. He said come back on Friday (day after tomorrow) and he can assess my running on the treadmill. He also gave me stretching exercises to do. I also felt a pain in my left foot of the same quality and in the same place as the "pre-stress fracture" that slowed me down a month or two ago. So I decided to continue my layoff.

I didn't get around to actually doing the stretching exercises until yesterday, and I finally got up at 5:30 this morning and put my sneakers on this morning. Met Jody and Erin/Iris and ran with them for three miles down to 33rd St. and through Penn campus. I always expect after a long layoff that I'd be springing and bounding along on happy, well-rested legs but instead the legs felt sore for the first mile and just dead for the remainder.

So now its one more attempt at a recovery. There is something appealing to starting over, when I lower my expectations and then get to carp about meeting them. There is also the feeling of a blank slate, that I am at the starting line and can again do whatever I want with my running. KJ, in his running, sees it another way as he says he can now start a couch-potato-to-marathon program. Maybe I should look into that.

So its a day at a time for now. I'd like to get some mileage in every day. And blog about it afterwards.

3 miles, untimed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I'm still reading. Good luck on the reconstruction. I did that at the end of last year after injuring my hamstring last year. I took a week off and then jogged through December. (It was nice not to have running interfere with the holidays as much.) I somehow ran a near PR 5K on New Year's.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Zero miles since Sept 13, and the top of my foot has started to hurt. I'm thinking phantom stress fracture. Just have to keep this up for 4 more weeks.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home