Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why Runners Dislike Going to Doctors

So here's the sequel from yesterday's post. I went to the doc yesterday because of my foot pain and he gave a diagnosis, the exact term I don't remember, which he called a "stress contusion." Basically a condition on the way to becoming a stress fracture. He commended me for coming in when I did and not when it was nice and fractured and:

1) sent me for an x-ray;
2) prescribed an anti-inflammatory;
3) called for the usual RICE;
3) recommended I get a custom, semi-rigid orthotic to mitigate future risk;
4) no running until Saturday

Given that what I have is clearly an overuse injury, I guess I should consider myself lucky to get off this easily. I was on pace for 300 miles this month, however, and I hate letting that go.

So nothing to report today, and I'll take a break from the blog tomorrow. I'll check back the day after tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, orthotics often cause more problems than they're worth. You get stability, no doubt, but the muscles in your foot get weaker. My take, as odd as it sounds, might be to do some core work--even at the expense of some mileage. The foot is the symptom, but the issue might be core strength.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Interesting comment by JPW. Since my back injury, I've been working on core strength. I could help you out with that and show you some moves. I might even let you borrow my exercise ball.

10:55 AM  
Blogger ryandavid said...

For crying out loud, what's the deal with the foot trouble in Philadelphia? Glad you got to the doc, here's hoping it's nothing too serious.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since my back injury, I've been working on core strength. I could help you out with that and show you some moves. I might even let you borrow my exercise ball.

Normally I don't hijack blogs, but if I may, Seebo...core strength, IMHO, is a runner's best friend. Every ailment I've ever had--from PF to IT issues to sesamoiditis--has its roots in a weak left ankle (blew it out dunking a basketball is HS) and as a result, an overcompensation on my right side. If I don't do things such as bridge extensions, single leg squats, super man extensions, V-Ups--you get the picture--I will get dinged in training, no two ways around it.

We all have our chinks in the armor. As we age, it's important to locate them and prevent them from being issues when we train--particularly when one is serious as Seebo is.

All right, I'm done on my soap box. Have your blog back, sorry. Reba & Seebo, good luck guys.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home