Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Rehearsal for a Tempo Run

Made it to bed reasonably early again last night, which does wonders for getting up at the crack of 5. Not that its easy, just easier. Got ready in 30 minutes - that's Paul Revere speed for me - so I'd be out by 5:30. But even then doing my 11 mile loop and getting back in time to get Tony to school would be tight. My time at the MLK checkpoint, a little over 3.5 miles, was 31-something and I knew I'd be late if I ran out to Strawberry Mansion Bridge.

So I decided to cut it short and only run up to the Columbia Railroad Bridge, then heading home on Montgomery Ave. for a 9 mile loop. While I was on MLK I pushed myself to pick up the pace, and did those 2 miles in 14:30. 7:15's won't set the world on fire, but I was satisfied at my ability to push the pace (from 8:30ish) when every thing in my body was screaming against my doing so. I was preparing myself for future runs when hitting MLK will mean ratcheting it up to much quicker paces.

Again, its not much. But this morsel of meaning was something I hung on to in the face of the realization that, on days that the kids are with me, I will have to get out even earlier to get in the mileage that I want to get in. That or do doubles in what are already full days. But I won't solve that problem today. Nor tomorrow, when I'll probably ride out the week with an effort similar to today. Then next week, when the kids aren't with me, I'll have some flexibility for putting in more mileage. In two weeks, when the kids are again with me during the week, I trust I'll have figured something out.

Meaning I'll probably have mustered resignation to the fact that I'll be getting up even earlier.

The Boston Marathon is run on dark, cold January mornings.

9 miles in 75:12.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home