Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Irregardless

That word popped into my head as I crested the Lansdowne Hill and got me to grin.

I was running against the clock this morning, not in terms of speed as much as being back by 7 so as to have time to get me and Tony out the door. I have become resigned to that it takes me, one way or the other, 45 minutes from waking up to getting out the door. I've tried cutting that time down but that seems to be an equilibrium point. So I got up at 5:15 (fairly well rested as I got to bed fairly early last night) and made it out the door a little before 6. This left me with about an hour, so I decided to do my 8-mile Sweetbriar loop. The sleep and the day off did me good, and I felt like I was going at a faster clip than my final time said I was going.

Warm morning. Got to see the dark fade to shades of dark blues and then make way for a sunrise where wisps of pinks and purples stretched across a lightening blue sky. Had an encore performance of Ryan Adams and then Gillian Welch on the iPod.

8.1 miles in 66:13.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vince A. said...

Irregardless, interesting that I got into a friendly fight with a co-worker last month, she claimed that this is not a real word, and I was defending it's usage:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home