Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Long Run

If yesterday was why I run, then today was the vegetables of my running.

But the older I've gotten, the more I've come to like vegetables. In this case, a long slow run. I needed 15 anna half miles today to get 60 for the week, so that was my target. I'd do my loop on the Drives up to Falls River Bridge and a little extra to get this.

Variations of this long run have been done to the point where it does get boring, but familiarity also enhances the workout. The run is basically in four parts, the first part, a bit over 3.5 miles, is the warm up. Then two 4-mile parts of the Drives - one MLK and the other Kelly, and the fourth part is the section back home. So lately I take the two 4-mile stretches hard and then have the last part get me used to running on tired legs. That is pretty much how it went today. Hard is relative, today I set out to crack each 4-mile segment in under 30 and do Kelly faster than MLK. The respective splits were 29:41 and 29:29, which I was happy with as it met the goals with little excess effort. Then the slog home was bearable until the last extra part I added on, which just past the threshold for where my legs felt comfortable. That was what I wanted out of the run.

So that gives me 60 for the week. I'm happy about getting 60 for what I thought was an off week, and am looking to dip into the 70's this week. We'll see. For today, 16 miles in 2:04 :40.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home