Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Two Fer

Didn't get to blog again yesterday. When I miss days regularly, you may read between the lines and infer my life is unbalanced. And right now it is, still, but in ways that seem to evolve. To go into all that would be better served on a different blog; here I'll focus on my running.

Yesterday I felt an easy day was warranted. I headed down to meet Club West Philly at Erin's at 6:30. Along with Erin & Iris, Hillary and Jody were there as well. I haven't seen Jody in ages, so long that I found out he and his wife had a baby two weeks ago, and I didn't even know they were expecting. Much of the run revolved around baby talk. Its hard to keep a conversation when you are four runners and a baby stroller trying to keep to the side of the road. Good to see everyone and good to know that CWP is still going strong. On running the half mile home by myself I thought about how CWP has morphed into different variations in the past years, and pondered in what directions it would go in the future.

6 in 47:48.

Today I had my block watch shift. We had a rash of burglaries in the neighborhood over the past month, and in response my good neighbors organized to have a few of us each night watching the block from 2 to 6 (split into two shifts) in the morning. It works out to being up in the wee hours once a week. I did this last Tuesday morning and the only thing that got robbed was my sleep. Nonetheless, thinking that it is the neighborly thing to do and that this effort can't be collectively sustained much longer (I can't imagine I'm the only one for whom a middle of the night shift is hard), I again was out from 4-6 this morning. This time I did it a bit smarter, however. Larry, my shift partner, and I split up the shift so that for the first hour he would "patrol" and I hung out (as "backup") on my porch and prepped for todays class. Then at 5am I put my running shoes on and for the last hour ran figure 8's around the 4600 blocks of Hazel, Cedar and Larchwood Aves.

Hardly a thrilling run but the only way I was gonna get one in today. I wavered between being glad I got myself out there to thinking I should push my running more. The problem was that I'd check my watch on the completion of every figure 8, and the faster I'd take the loop the slower the time seemed to go. Each figure 8 took between 4-6 minutes, depending on how hard I pushed it. Most of the time I did fartleky type running, changing speeds alot. That's about all that can be said on that. If there's a shift next week, I'll probably get a bit more rigorous.

The only consolation, besides the fact that the block has been kept safe, is that I get to see the block at a time when I'm usually oblivious to it. There is really nothing going on till about 5, and then the neighborhood slowly starts to wake up. A shout also goes out to my neighbor Melinda, who for the second straight week was spotted getting in her car at 5:15 on her way to hit the Drives. Now there is dedication to training.

An hour's worth of running, conservatively call it six miles.

1 Comments:

Blogger John W said...

I have been dredding my run all morning, but that last comment about dedication to training is going to get me out the door.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home