Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Damn You, Ian

Yesterday's track meet was rained out and postponed to today, which I won't be able to make. To make a long story short, I didn't get in an alternate workout. Yeah, I could have gone out to run, but the hassle of rearranging things and competing demands of work and house stuff took up my time until it got dark, whence I opted for Thai food with Reba. Go here to read about what I should have done.

That left some stuff for me to think about this morning. Again, when it got time to run I started getting bogged down with house stuff. It's hard to call this procrastination as it really is stuff that needs to get done, and I do feel good seeing the differences in a house that needs some work. So when I got out this morning I figured I'd run an hour's worth. Figured I'd do something down on the Drives and headed out there. I was minding my own business running through Penn campus when I heard footsteps from behind. I'm not used to getting overtaken, but relaxed a bit when it turned out to be Deirdre. She was heading home so I decided to alter my route and head down South Street for the company. She in turn headed further down South St. to reach a destination where she could supply her other addiction, and we parted ways at 10th St. I headed down into South Philly and back around on this route for exactly 60 minutes (actually 60:11) and 7.5 miles.

This worked out well, as it got me off of my usual routes and exploring into South Philly. The weather was cool, and in the aftermath of all of the rain we'd been having everything looked clean and washed. Lots of new construction and homes for sale along Ellsworth St., making this seem to be a neighborhood in transition. Makes me feel like I want to run down here some, bite off a new area of the city and "digest" it until it becomes familiar.

This run joined my other recent runs in having a different feel to them, one I can best describe as jogging. What I mean by this is that it is a run for the sake of the run - medium effort and distance - instead of something I see as contributing much for preparing for any upcoming race. I tried to imagine this in my head, to just run for being out there, rather than how this will contribute to my weekly mileage or training. To lack a plan or a bigger picture. In short, how 95% of folk that run run. And I understood that feeling and tried it on for size. Its easy to do on a morning like this one, which is perfect for running. And I thought of how embracing this "jogger" image today would mean the difference between my having a good run and having yet another run of less intensity and less mileage than I wanted.

And I'm leaving it there. Not in an agonizing manner but in one that I trust will work itself out. The question then becomes how.

3 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Hey, if you ever want to do hill repeats while I have Thai food with Reba, be my guest.

It is a shame. I was looking forward to the ol' Twelve Lap Tango.

Parkway Run?

3:29 PM  
Blogger jim said...

John and I were talking the other night about how so many of the routes we run have been worn down. Maybe we need to resurrect more early morning city runs like old Rocky route.

8:37 AM  
Blogger John W said...

I definitely missed you and Ian at the track meet last night. Wish you guys could have made it.

Running to just run is a great thing. Some of my favorite runs are post-marathon when I don't worry about pace, distance and route. I am out there just to enjoy.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home