Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

On the Track

I need to do this entry quickly, I've already spent too much time answering a few emails, a couple of which were in response to responses to the stuff I wrote about Henry Rono. Whatever you think about him, its apparent I'm not the only one who found his story to strike a chord.

Took it out to the track this morning. The only thing significant about doing so was the amount of resistance I felt against going out there. It started the moment I woke up. I soon started plotting on how I could run later today. Given the weather forecast, that is an insane proposition. Then I was afraid of getting sick to my stomach on the way out, and suddenly I became overly concerned about the condition of my legs. And so on and so on...

So I did what I usually do. #1 - I left later than I wanted to (but only by 15 minutes). #2 - I bargained with myself: just get out to the track and run a bit; just do one repeat; etc. This got me out the door, starting the 2 mile warmup to the Interboro HS track very slowly and slowly getting more comfortable with running. My mile of strides on the track felt terrible, and I wondered if indeed I didn't have it. I set out to do 4 x 1600 with 400 (2 min.) recovery. I originally wanted to do the 1600s in 5:30, but conceded to being satisfied with anything under 5:40. And it was really humid.

I'm already dragging this out. 1600's went in 5:33; 5:34; 5:38 and 5:42. The splits for the last 1600 were 1:25; 1:27; 1:26; & 1:24. Just after the first 400 in the last rep I started to feel the burn in my chest and held it at that effort. I lost focus a bit and slowed down, but conserved some effort for that last 400, which was not grand but where I did keep it together. 4 reps was definitely enough. A fifth would have been ugly. So I'm satisfied. I'm also pleased with myself that I could close out July with a sustained series of workouts.

Maybe there is synergy between me and the Phillies, who have won 8 of their last 9. Anyway, 10 miles total running today, with starts and stops and one wrong turn and some evasive anti-canine maneuvers I did it in 80:54.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home